Saturday, November 8, 2008

"The hand that rocks the cradle"

Lately I've been thinking a lot about mothers, and have been confused and frustrated with what I've been seeing of women.

A mother, to me, is a woman who has been given power that no one else in the world possesses. A mother is someone who is living the ultimate dream and experiences the ultimate of joy. What a privilege! What greater gift is there than motherhood (or fatherhood?) But particularly motherhood. To be entrusted with precious children. To be their co-creator, their protector, their nurturer, their teacher, their friend; the one who they can come to to feel loved and understood; the one who is always there for them. To witness the purity, the joy, the excitement, the love that only comes from mothering a child. And to have that be entitled to us as our biggest and most sacred responsibility is no small thing.

Not only is motherhood a tremendous privilege, blessing and responsibility (for what is worth more than a human soul, a human life, especially that of a child?), it also possesses great power; power that most people overlook. You can't ignore the truth of the words of W.R. Wallace who said, "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world." The power and influence of a mother, as she teaches her children, is the power and influence that is the future of the world! This power does not come at a small price. This power requires all the time and attention a mother can give!

I have always dreamed of being a mother. I feel I have had my fair share of experiences and accomplishments in life. I have recieved an education from one of the best universities. And I feel the best way I can use that degree right now is as a mother, in my home with my children. I consider my greatest accomplishment that of being a mom. It wasn't until I became a wife and mother that I have been able to live my dream. There is nothing I have yearned for more! And I am only grateful I have had this priceless opportunity.

There is so much time in life to live, experience and accomplish. But there are only a few years when a mother has children in her home. These precious years are special years for mothers to raise, nurture and teach their children. This is the responsibility in which they have been entrusted.

Would I trade my husband for his job? No. He has an important job. We each need to do our part for the happiness and well-being of our children and our family. But trade him for his job? It is definitely a woman's divine role to be the nurturer of the children - all of nature points to it! It's a part of who I am. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

When I witness my children learning something new, there is a light in their eyes that is irresistable. There is nothing more satisfying than being an instrument in that process - being part of a soul receiving truth and enlightenment.

When I kiss the soft cheeks and hold the sturdy little hands; when I hug the little bodies, and feed the little mouths; when I create a smile, a memory, a sanctuary, for these little ones, there is nothing in this world that can compare with the satisfaction and divinity of this work. I feel so blessed every day, and I can't ignore the ache I feel when I think of ever having to give it up.

How could anyone want to give this up? There are those who do. I do not understand. There are those who go searching for another profession. What are they looking for? For power? For fulfillment? For self-worth? For freedom? For relief from boredom? Or to spend their days helping others...who are more important than their children? It's like finally getting the dream job, only to hire a substitute each day!....it doesn't make sense to me. All the noble and worthy jobs in the world are not more important to me than my precious children. I would never imagine finally acquiring my "dream" job, and then giving it up to someone else each day! Unless, of course, I had to.

There will be many years when I can chase my "dreams." But the years with my children are few. I would not give up this privilege to any nanny, daycare, or grandma in the world as long as I could help it. I would sacrifice much to be home with my children! There are many who do.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother," says Lin Yutang. Are we going to give up that right? In search for other rights we feel we do not have? Where are we going and what are we looking for when we leave our homes and children each day? How many of the precious few moments are we wasting? How much will we long for them back when we are finally "free" to pursue our "dreams"; when we are finally free to find "fulfillment"; when we are finally free to be "successful?"

How many of us mothers are giving up our greatest rights in pursuit of another? How many of us are giving up such divine power in search of power from the powerless? How many of us are giving up moments with our precious little ones so someone else can enjoy them? How many of us are sacrificing our childrens' longings to be with their mother, and their need to be taught, nourished and companioned, so that we can teach, serve, or work for others? Are the needs of others more important than our children's? And what child would not jump at the chance of spending each day with their mother?

I understand there are those women who long to be home with their children each day, but can't. I know those women are strong and God helps them and their families. But there definitely are those who make a choice. Why do they?

I love the words of Anne Campbell as she looked at her children:

You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
(“To My Child,” quoted in Charles L. Wallis, ed., The Treasure Chest [1965], 54)

Mothers, come home. Your children need you. The world needs you - at home!

4 comments:

80s Girls said...

I think you wrote this for me! (I can't speak for my blog partners).

On the days when you have potty training accidents, "art" work on the walls, a sick baby, and you are very tired; you need to be reminded why you are home with your children. And, you said it beautifully.

Thank you!

MommaA said...

The truth spoken in lovely words. Let's encourage others to see it your way.

vinestreet said...

Hi Lori,

I really love what you wrote here. I found this blog tonight and I hope it's okay that I am reading it.

Kristen

Lori said...

Thanks Kristen. Yes, feel free to add your thoughts if you want!