Saturday, October 11, 2008

Quote of the Day

"Be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled, will disappear all too soon... and that you will, to your surprise, miss them, profoundly."
President Thomas S. Monson
I've been thinking a lot along these lines lately. A few months ago, I was staying with my mom, and my two boys (3 and 1) were running wild and crazy. I thought I had had enough being a mom for a while. Seriously considering ebay as a means of relieving myself of my two little "burdensome obligations," I was met by my mom with a smile on her face. She said, "Isn't it so much fun - you get to take care of these two cute little children. Think how lonely your life would be without them." Ever since then, I have tried to look at things this way. I absolutely ADORE my two little guys! And life WOULD be dull withought them! It's just I sometimes forget. It's usually at night, when they're asleep and I have a quite moment to contemplate, that I feel such a profound love for them and joy that comes with it. And I feel so BLESSED that I get to be their mother. To be a mother has been a lifelong dream of mine!
In truth, children are not stressful, irritating,difficult,tiring, or crazy - though I often turn them into that. They are fun, cute and wonderful beings who can bring so much joy to life!
Like Pres. Monson also said "Live in the present." Enjoy each moment, each day. And thank God for all the joy that can be found - especially in being a mom! It's true, as Elder Ballard once said, the time of having young children in your home makes up only about 1/10th of an adult's life! Enjoy it while it lasts!!
Love it. Take it in.
You will certainly have time later to fulfill the other "dreams" you have. But none will ever be so valuable as the one you are fulfilling now - being a mother.
So don't look forward too much to the time that will assuredly come when, along with all of your new-found freedom, you will "miss them profoundly."

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I love this quote and need to remember it. My children are so wonderful and yet I let them get on my nerves and I don't enjoy them the way I should. They really are precious beings and I would be so devestated if anything ever happened to them. The trick is to remember to enjoy the NOW without getting caught up in the daily grind.

TravisandLori said...

Yes, I agree - hey thanks for commenting!:)

MommaA said...

So true about those adorable little rascals. I remember those feelings as my little ones slept now only because I was relieved to have some quiet and down time but because it was easy to remember how much they were cherished.